We are proud to be able to offer all our clients on-click Let’s Encrypt free SSL certificates to all of our shared hosting clients.
Let’s Encrypt is a service provided by the Internet Security Research Group, sponsored by some of the biggest names on the internet, including Facebook, Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), The Mozilla Foundation, Akami and Cisco systems. It left beta on April 26, 2016 and has since issued more than 2,000,000 certificates worldwide.
Run for the public’s benefit, it gives people the digital certificates they need in order to enable HTTPS (SSL/TLS) for websites, for free, in the most user friendly way possible and is done to create a more secure and privacy-respecting web.
The key principles behind Let’s Encrypt are:
- Free – anyone who owns a domain name can use Let’s Encrypt to obtain a trusted certificate at zero cost.
- Automatic – Software running on a web server can interact with Let’s Encrypt to painlessly obtain a certificate, securely configure it for use, and automatically take care of renewal.
- Secure – Let’s Encrypt will service as a platform for advancing TLS security best practices, both on the CA side and by helping site operators properly secure their servers.
- Transparent – All certificates issued or revoked will be publicly recorded and available for anyone to inspect.
- Open – The automatic issuance and renewal protocol will be publishged as an open standard that others can adopt.
- Cooperative – Much like the underlying internet protocols themselves, Let’s Encrypt is a joint effort to benefit the community, beyond the control of any one organisation.